In general, cameras help keep you and your possessions safe at all times. Not only that, but these devices can also serve as a blanket of protection for your loved ones.
Furthermore, CCTV cameras can become valuable in a neighbourhood known to have high crime rates. Other than that, installing closed-circuit television cameras on business premises is crucial for business owners since it assures personnel and business equipment safety and security.
However, homeowners and business owners alike are becoming increasingly curious as to the exact role of these cameras in deterring crime. In this article, we will determine how CCTV cameras can become effective in helping you keep your home and office safe.
According to studies, closed-circuit television cameras are highly efficient in crime prevention, notably crime against persons and property. By recording crime scenes, CCTV cameras can aid in the investigation of alleged theft or robbery crimes.
Police officers all throughout the world are employing closed-circuit television footage in criminal investigations. Video footage is extremely effective in solving crimes since it captures the crime scene and serves as evidence in court proceedings.
It may also be possible for detectives to use a recording to establish the timeframe of the crime. Furthermore, investigators can utilise the CCTV footage to check the integrity of the testimonies made by both the suspects and witnesses to the incident.
In general, detectives believe that surveillance film is just as significant as forensic evidence such as fingerprints and DNA samples. With this in mind, criminals who plan on unlawfully entering homes may be deterred knowing that CCTV cameras can be utilised to catch them.
Effectivity of CCTV cameras in deterring crime
Circo & McGarrell (2021) found that property crimes and disturbance offences fell more rapidly in locations with CCTV cameras than in matched controls over time. Property crimes involve the theft or destruction of a victim’s property without the use or threat of force against the victim. Meanwhile, disturbing the peace, alternatively referred to as a breach of the peace, is a criminal offence that happens when a person participates in disorderly public behaviour. This involves boisterous partying, public intoxication, and shouting obscenities.
Additionally, it was discovered that integrated CCTV programs could boost the reporting of previously unreported minor offences. In a study conducted by Armitage (2002), CCTV appears to have no effect on violent crimes but has a noticeable influence on vehicle crimes and is most successful when used in parking lots. Additionally, it was stated that CCTV could be highly effective when used with other crime-fighting tactics and customised to the local environment.
How to make the most out of CCTV cameras
Individuals purchase home security cameras for a variety of reasons. However, to maximise your investment, you must understand how to use your CCTV camera correctly.
Find the best spot
In general, you should install cameras 8-10 feet above the ground. This height is low enough to capture fine details yet high enough to keep thieves and vandals out of easy reach. Furthermore, the most typical locations for them in the home are the front door, garages, and driveways.
You should also monitor any concentrated area through which robbers would have to walk to gain access to the majority of your home; this is most usually a first-floor corridor or a stairwell leading up. Additionally, you may wish to secure places often used, such as a living room or kitchen.
Check the features
You cannot correctly maximise a CCTV camera if you do not know the best features you can use:
- Motion sensors: motion detectors activate to record only when movement is sensed. This saves hours of unusable, non-applicable footage generally occupying enormous quantities of memory and storage. Overall, it aids in providing security by identifying suspicious movements.
- Night vision: Night vision cameras are sufficiently versatile to operate in various lighting and weather conditions. In comparison to other options, they are capable of capturing high-quality video footage in complete darkness.
- Wide-angle: If you want to catch every detail possible, a wide-angle CCTV camera is the way to go. Wide-angle lenses give superior situational awareness, making it considerably easier for operators to keep an eye on emerging events. Additionally, a wide viewing angle produces photographs that are well-balanced in terms of subject and background.
- Cloud backup: Cloud-based CCTV is a surveillance system that records video from your premises and makes it accessible via the Internet from any location. CCTV cloud storage is a comprehensive solution that enables customers to remotely save camera-related footage without worrying about on-site storage capacity.
- Remote access: Remote access enables an authorised user to connect to a computer or network via a network connection from a geographically remote location. This feature takes advantage of an internet connection to transmit the images captured by your CCTV cameras to an external remote monitoring station. The finest benefit is that you do not have to be physically present to watch and handle your security cameras.
Casa Security Perth Australia
Casa Security is a 100% Australian-owned firm for security and burglar alarm in Perth specialising in home, commercial, and government security systems. Our commitment to service is demonstrated through our industry alliances, our 24-hour service assistance, and, of course, our unmatched product variety.
Casa Security’s superior service does not end with installation; we also provide maintenance and upkeep so you can sleep well, knowing your home or business is protected 24 hours a day.
Armitage, R. (2002). To CCTV or not to CCTV. A review of current research into the effectiveness of CCTV systems in reducing crime, 8.
Circo, G., McGarrell, E. Estimating the impact of an integrated CCTV program on crime. J Exp Criminol 17, 129–150 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11292-019-09404-y