Thanks to the latest technologies, home security systems are becoming more and more sophisticated every year. Whether you live in an apartment, townhouse or large detached property, you can protect your home today in a variety of different ways that would have been unimaginable to previous generations. In this article, we are going to explore the future of home security, focusing on the trends and technological innovations that we believe are the most exciting and, more importantly, the most promising in terms of improved security.
The Most Exciting Trend and Technologies in the Home Security Sector
As a company that specialises in supplying and installing state-of-the-art security systems in Perth, we have an in-depth knowledge of the home security market and it is our pleasure to share this knowledge with you. Below, we discuss what we think will be the most prominent trends and developments in the home security sector over the coming years.
Smart Home Security Systems
If you want the latest in home security and automation, you need a smart home security system. These systems are the most popular type of home security solution available in Australia today, thanks to the advanced features and functionality they have to offer. Smart home security systems take advantage of Internet of Things (IoT) technologies to connect a wide variety of security devices and sensors to a central hub. The hub can then be controlled using a smartphone app, allowing you to monitor your home from almost any location in the world.
The types of devices that you can integrate into a smart home security system include:
- Door and window sensors
- Motion detectors
- Smart locks
- Video doorbells
- Indoor and outdoor cameras
- Smart lighting
All of these devices (and more besides) can be combined into a single system that provides you with the highest level of security possible in a residential property today. What’s more, a smart home security system, along with the devices it controls, can be customised to meet the needs of individual homeowners with great ease. For example, you can set a smart motion detector to turn on a light when someone enters a room, or a camera to send an alert whenever it detects any movement. As smart security systems become ever more capable, we believe they will become even more popular in the future.
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) are set to play a very big part in the future of home security, both here in Perth and all around the world. These two related technologies can be used to analyse data from sensors and cameras, allowing for more accurate and effective security systems. In our opinion, AI and ML have the potential to revolutionise the home security market over the next few years.
Among the many applications that AI and ML have been used for so far in the home security industry are the following:
- Facial recognition – Cameras attached to systems that utilise AI/ML technologies can be programmed to remember and recognise people’s faces, which means it is now possible for you to set up a smart home security system to generate an alert whenever a stranger enters your home.
- Behaviour analysis – AI can analyse patterns of behaviour, such as when you and other members of your household normally enter and exit your home. An AI-powered security system can therefore be set to let you know whenever something out of the ordinary occurs in your home.
- Predictive analytics – By analysing a large quantity of data over time, AI systems are able to predict when a security threat is likely to occur and take proactive measures to prevent it from happening. This is perhaps the most exciting development in the field of AI home security systems today.
In the coming years, we expect the above applications to be refined even further and for new applications that make the most of AI and ML to be rapidly developed.
Biometric security is another technology that is among the latest in home security and automation features, which we think you should keep a close eye on in the future. A biometric security system can use a person’s unique biological characteristics, such as their fingerprints and facial features, to authenticate their identity whenever they wish to enter a property.
Biometric security can be used in a variety of ways, including:
- Smart locks – A smart lock can be programmed to recognise a person’s fingerprint, allowing them to unlock the door in question using nothing more than their own hands. With such a lock, you can let housekeepers and workmen into your home at specific times, without having to provide them with a key.
- Facial recognition – AI and ML, which we discussed above, enable facial recognition technology to be used in modern home security systems. In addition to the above-mentioned application for this technology, it can also be used to power a system that recognises your face whenever you come home and unlocks the door for you.
- Voice recognition – With a smart speaker, you can programme your system to recognise your voice or that of anyone else who lives with you. This functionality can be used in much the same way as facial recognition technology but it has additional applications as well. For example: once your system has been programmed to recognise your voice, you can then control it with spoken commands.
The use of biometric security is sure to feature prominently in the future of home security as it can provide a high level of security and convenience at the same time. You and your family can enter and exit your home whenever you wish, without worrying about whether you have remembered your keys or the access code for your front door.
If you are interested in learning more about the future of home security and how you can take advantage of the latest technologies to protect your home, please feel free to contact us by phone or email.